Chris McAlister (Sweden)
Chris has been a practitioner of Taiji Quan, Qigong and Martial Arts since 1986 and of the healing arts (shiatsu, acupuncture, Chinese herbs) since 1992. He is currently the secretary for EFCAM, the European Federation for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, of which ESF (European Shiatsu Federation) is a member.
Website including articles, notes, diagrams: www.isshin-gakkai.eu
The Four Seas – a Voyage of Discovery!
The Four Seas are mentioned in the Nei Jing but only very briefly and with no real guidelines for usage. Twenty years of thought, research, trial and error, workshops, treatments and writings later, I have some very interesting and practically useful materials to present to you.
The materials are fascinating philosophically and provide an excellent model of healthy human energetic anatomy in the form of four levels: from Marrow at the deepest level, through Blood and Nutritive energy all the way up to the Sea of Qi, which represents the most active, lively and outwardly directed energy level available in the human system.
Practically, the material takes the form of:
1. A complete Qigong programme, which takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to complete, depending on number of repetitions and speed of execution.
2. A root treatment, where points for all four seas are incorporated into a flowing and cyclical whole body treatment. Once more, this kata can take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to complete, depending on the speed of reaction in the receiver and the intensity of response elicited.
3. Four separate treatments; one for each of the four seas.
The workshop we will experience will be comprised of the following components:
– a brief introduction to the conceptual model
– the qigong for the Sea of Marrow
– the root treatment for all four seas
– the treatment for the Sea of Marrow
– the entire qigong programme for the four seas.
If time permits, there will be demonstrations of one or more of the remaining three seas (Sea of Blood, Sea of Nutrition, Sea of Qi)
This model allows us to see how energy is moved up and down through denser and lighter energy levels within the meridian energy system. The qigong programme provides a powerful tool for self-regeneration and the various treatments give tools for treating at any stage of health from robust strength to debilitated weakness.